With homeowner’s insurance, there are basic coverages that all companies will cover. While the product name may be different based on the company, often the coverage they provide are the same.

The basic homeowner’s policy often referred to as a HO-1 will cover the structure and depending on the policy your stuff inside as well from the following perils or cause of loss:

  • Fire or smoke
  • Explosions
  • Lightning
  • Hail and windstorms
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Damage from vehicles
  • Damage from aircraft
  • Volcanic eruption
  • Riots and civil commotion

The next tier above the HO-1, is the HO-2, and it protects your home and the belongings inside from these additional perils:

  • Falling objects
  • Freezing of household systems like AC or heating
  • The weight of ice, snow, or sleet
  • Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam
  • Sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging of pipes and other household systems
  • Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current

In addition to the policies listed above are even more robust policies like the HO-3 (considered the most common homeowners’ policy) or the H0-5 provides additional protection to what is listed above.

Scroll to Top